Wednesday, February 24, 2010

very public transportation

Anyone who follows me on Twitter knows that I usually commute to work by bus. Given Pittsburgh's ridiculously labyrinthine transit system, I end up on two buses for a total travel time of about an hour for a trip that encompasses just under six miles.
What I like about riding the bus: I can snooze on the way to work, or check email, or goof off on Twitter, or do any number of other things I couldn't do while driving. Also, I don't have to drive in rush hour traffic.
The things I don't like about the bus don't have a lot to do with riding it. I hate the moment where I have to pay. I always fumble with my change if I don't have a pass that week, and I can feel the hatred of the passengers behind me. I hate waiting for the bus; it's that nervous tension kinda like when you try to get money from the ATM but you're not exactly sure how much is in the account... not sure the bus hasn't arrived yet, if it's late... just too many variables can go wrong before the bus actually shows.
But the worst part of traveling by bus is the instance of being just a shade late or slightly too far from the bus stop when the bus pulls up. And you have to run to catch it. You surrender all dignity at that point, and are at complete and total mercy of the bus driver. He or she can pretend not to see you, or can just keep driving and ignore your breathless humiliation.
Mostly, though, the bus isn't a terrible way to get around. If the seats were just a little more comfortable...

No comments:

Post a Comment